A wrongful death case can result when a careless act causes a victim’s death. The claim is usually brought by the deceased person’s closest relatives, such as parents, children, or a spouse. They demand to be compensated for the loss of their loved one.
In addition, the victim's family will qualify to bring a survival case for compensation for medical bills, pain, suffering, and mental distress endured by the victim as a result of the accident leading to death.
It is an unfortunate reality that people die due to the carelessness of others. These are typical cases we see to legally recover for a victim's death:
- The at-fault driver (and sometimes the company for whom the driver works) in car, motorcycle, and trucking accidents.
- The doctor or other health care worker whose malpractice results in death.
- The bar or restaurant that over-serves alcohol to a patron who later is involved in a DUI crash.
- The manufacturer of a faulty product.
- The business with unsafe floors that lead to a fatal slip, trip, or fall injury.
The above is not meant to be an exhaustive list. A wide range of individuals and other entities may have a claim brought against them in the event their negligence leads to the death of the victim.
Each case is different, but if you have recently lost a member of your family due to the actions of another and wish to discuss this with an attorney, please contact the lawyers at Holland & Usry at 864.582.0416 or toll-free at 888.230.1841. We will be happy to discuss your options in a FREE, confidential consultation.