Probably not. Personal injury cases rarely involve going after someone’s personal assets. Victims usually recover from an insurance policy held by the one who hurt them, especially in traffic wrecks, slip or trip and fall cases, nursing home injuries, and medical malpractice cases. That’s what liability insurance is for—to help protect your personal assets when you are careless and hurt someone.

Dog bites are no exception. Many home owners, including landlords, have a homeowner’s or general liability policy to cover these injuries. Your neighbors or their landlord has probably paid thousands of dollars over the years to an insurance company, which basically got free money. Now it’s time to use the policy as intended.

Of course, there's a catch. Insurance companies are filled with skilled claims professionals with one goal: lowball your child's settlement. But you don't have to let your child get shortchanged in a South Carolina accident injury settlement. Get your questions answered in a free, no pressure strategy session with a Spartanburg, SC personal injury attorney. Call toll free at 888-230-1841 or fill out a Get Help Now form.

Free pointer: you may have insurance to help you pay while waiting for your claim to be settled. If you have health insurance, use it to pay for the medical care related to your accident. You’ve paid a lot of money for this policy and you should still use it for these injuries. Doing so won’t hurt your case, and it could help it. Plus the liability insurance won’t pay for your treatment as you get it.

At Holland & Usry, we are sensitive to the fact we’ve all got to live together. But part of that is expecting neighbors to look after those who get hurt on their property. We always seek to recover first (and almost always last) from a liability insurance policy. If your neighbor is a good one, he’ll understand he is using his insurance as intended, to help an innocent child and the good family who cares for her to recover for injuries she suffered at his home. Don’t sacrifice what is right for your child in the interest of not starting trouble. You didn’t start it, and it’s never “trouble” to do right by your child.

Let's Answer Your Next Question

Yes, you should hire an experienced dog bite attorney to help you, for many reasons.  And regardless how a child gets hurt, South Carolina child injury settlements pose a grave risk to parents who aren't experienced accident injury attorneys. 

If you are worried how to handle an injury claim you might have, you don’t even have to call us. You can start a live chat or send us an email from this website. We will be delighted to arrange a free meeting to discuss whether you have a case and whether we can accept it. You can always feel free to call us toll free at 888-230-1841 to arrange a free meeting to discuss your case, including how we can figure out whether insurance exists to help cover the injuries.


Rob Usry
Connect with me
Rob is a Spartanburg personal injury lawyer. Rob also practices as a workers' compensation attorney.