For more information on the terrible price you pay for a conviction- and the hope you may have to avoid it- download our free report, The Terrible Price of a DUI/DUAC Conviction and Defenses You Might Not Know About.
Here’s the answer to the #1 burning question our clients have:
What are the penalties for a DUI/DUAC First Offense conviction? These charges can seriously disrupt your life. And let us dispel a tragic myth from the get-go: Regardless what you’ve been told, Driving with an Unlawful Alcohol Concentration (DUAC) charges carry the same penalties as driving under the influence (DUI).
These are some of the potential costs of a first offense DUI or DUAC:
- Immediate license suspension - even without a conviction,
- Costly, burdensome ignition interlock,
- Fines and court costs ranging from a minimum of around $1,000 to more than double that,
- Possible jail time,
- Driver’s license suspension - 6 months, which can be ended with getting ignition interlock,
- Permanent criminal record - unlike certain other crimes, DUI convictions cannot be removed from your public record,
- SR-22 auto insurance, which can cause premiums to skyrocket,
- Costs to attend the Alcohol and Drug Safety Action Program - at least $500 and up to $2,500,
- College students can lose state scholarships and their parents can lose tax credits for education payments,
- You also face a possibly a cloudy employment future, including potential loss of your job and future job opportunities.
Here’s answers to questions you should be asking:
- Why fight the charge?
- Why should I fight the arrest license suspension?
- How will my first offense case travel through the courts?
- Why your case likely depends on a video, which needs to be watched with a trained eye
- A dreaded potential side effect of a conviction- ignition interlock
- How can I win my case when the officer said I failed the field sobriety tests?
We're Experienced DUI Attorneys Who Stand Up For You
Experience teaches, and ours has shown these cases are often far from hopeless. If you’re wondering what it’s like to be one of our clients, we can help with that, too.
- While all case results are specific to the facts and law of each unique case, and a prior result does not mean similar results can be obtained for other cases, you can read our reviews on a website we don't own.
- Quick video: what your first meeting is like with me
- Our process for defending your case
- Just because you blew .08 or more does not mean you are automatically guilty. If we can use your video to prove you’re not impaired, it’s just a number, and you’ve got a shot at acquittal. Plus . . .
- Don’t assume you can’t win—you may have defenses you don’t even know about. No matter how confident the officer seemed, the State must prove its case, not you. We’re good at pointing out what the officer did incorrectly and presenting the facts that favor you. We’re also good at developing highly technical legal defenses that can get your case dismissed, no matter how “bad” you think your case is.
- When you’re charged with a DUI or DUAC, you’ve got to act fast to protect your rights. If your license got suspended for refusing a breathalyzer test or blowing .15 or more, the clock is ticking on the deadline to get a license to drive without restriction in South Carolina, and if you miss the court date on your traffic ticket, you could be convicted without a jury trial.
Call Today for a Free Strategy Session!
It won’t cost a dime to discuss your case with us to answer your questions and talk about how we can help you. toll-free at 888-230-1841. We handle cases primarily in the Upstate area of South Carolina, especially Spartanburg, Cherokee, Greenville, Laurens, and Union counties, which includes the communities of Boiling Springs, Inman, Duncan, Lyman, Wellford, Woodruff, Landrum, Roebuck, Cowpens, Laurens, Gaffney, and Greer.
Call us toll-free at 888-230-1841 to schedule your free case discussion with one of our DUI attorneys today. Don’t forget to bring all your paperwork!