With all the DUI lawyers out there, picking the right one to defend you can seem as bewildering as your arrest. Here are a few factors to consider that might help you pick the right one.
- Do some research. Ask friends, family, or co-workers if they know anyone who defends these cases in the area where you were arrested. Generally, it’s best to get a DUI defense lawyer from the city you got arrested in, or nearby. For example, if you got arrested in Spartanburg, your best bet is to start looking there for a lawyer. Local lawyers are familiar with how the local court system runs and may have tried cases against the officer or Solicitor who’s prosecuting you.
You can find helpful information by searching on the Internet, or by going directly to the lawyer’s website. Does the website contain helpful information about these cases, and state that they’re an area of concentration? You should also check out other websites, like Avvo, which show the cases the lawyer handles and may even contain feedback from prior clients.
- Find out about the lawyer’s experience with DUI & DUAC cases. How long has the lawyer handled these cases? How much of his practice is devoted to these cases? What’s the attorney’s track record in winning trials, getting dismissals, or getting charges reduced? How does he use evidence to help his clients? While past results don’t guarantee you victory, they do help you evaluate the lawyer’s experience and effectiveness.
- Ask if they’ve ever written a book or report on the subject. This is a great way to get an idea of the lawyer’s knowledge of DUI/DUAC cases. If the lawyer has written one, read it.
- Meet with your top candidates to be sure you’re comfortable with them. Remember, this is the person who will defend your reputation and your liberty. You need to feel sure of his or her abilities, but also feel confident that he or she work well with you. Be sure you’re totally certain your lawyer will take the time to explain your defenses, update you promptly with any new information, and be honest with you—even if it’s bad news. Whether you realize it or not, you are looking for a relationship built on trust. Don’t hire a lawyer you don’t trust with your freedom or your reputation, because that’s what is at stake. When you find the right one, you’ll know from the peace of mind you have that he will handle it, whatever the outcome.
- If a lawyer is cheap or guarantees results, run. A DUI or DUAC conviction has serious consequences and the law is very complex. DUI/DUAC cases can be very time consuming and complex for the defense lawyer, especially if you go to trial. If you don’t pay much for your lawyer, don’t expect much. And the law is like life—there are no guarantees. A lawyer who gives you one about an outcome is already misleading you.
Trust & Experience Matter When Choosing Your DUI Defense Attorney
These are just a few things to consider. In the end, your decision should probably come down to who you trust to take your Spartanburg DUI/DUAC case to trial, because that’s where a lot of them end up.
For other info about these cases, check out our free report on SC DUI/DUAC cases, and other articles on this site, including the ones below.
Get to Know Our Firm