Choosing a workers’ compensation attorney can be one of the toughest things a work injury victim does. But it’s critical to the final outcome of your case, especially if you’re seriously injured. You’ve got important rights at stake, and you need the peace of mind that comes with knowing they’ll be protected—because you won’t get a do-over if your case doesn’t end well.
How do you figure out the best workers’ comp attorney for you? I’m about to give you some key guidance on this. Start with what matters most:
- Your case is about you.
- What you’re really looking for is one thing: trust.
You need a workers’ comp lawyer who makes your case about you—not about collecting a fee—and who you trust with an important time in your life. Here are some things to look for.
How to Know if the Attorney Is Good at Workers’ Comp Cases
Workers’ compensation is a unique area of the law, with different laws and procedures than other accident cases. Obtaining a proper settlement in even a “simple” case can be complicated. If you’re severely hurt, you might qualify for highly expensive benefits the insurance company will fight hard against.
You need a professional who focuses his training and efforts on cases like yours. Here’s what to look for:
- A critical overall measure of attorney skill and your potential satisfaction: client reviews. What clients say gives you an idea of the kind of results the attorney obtains and how clients felt about how they got treated. While their outcomes are no guarantee of yours, it does give you a picture of what it’s like to work with him. Sure, the attorney’s website should offer some reviews, but the attorney controls whether those get published. Check the attorney out on the internet, where the attorney doesn’t decide whether a review gets published. Two of the best sources for workers’ comp attorney reviews are Avvo.com and Google Plus. You might also ask family, friends, or co-workers.
- Find out the attorney’s knowledge of workers’ comp cases. Check out the lawyer’s website to review how extensively he provides free information about these cases. Find out if he publishes written materials or even videos about issues that concern you—and maybe even ones you didn’t even think about. Has he written a book on workers’ comp cases?
- Get an idea of the attorney’s past results in workers’ comp cases. This includes results he’s achieved in cases like yours. While past results are never a guarantee of the outcome for your case because all cases are different, you can gain confidence in his ability by seeing a track record of results. And knowing the attorney’s handled complex cases can give you added confidence yours will be handled well.
How to Know if a Workers’ Comp Lawyer Is Right for You on a Personal Level
Once you’re interested in a specific lawyer, don’t forget your case is about you. Interview the attorney to make sure your priorities and personalities align. Here are things to look for there:
- Evaluate the staff. I put this first because you’ll be dealing with them regularly throughout your case. Are they friendly? Helpful? Welcoming? If you don’t make a difference to them the first moment you walk in the door, you never will.
- Make sure the attorney truly cares about you as a person. Is the attorney giving of her time, or does she seem to be in a hurry to get you to sign on the dotted line? Are your questions answered or blown off? Any high-pressure sales tactics? If you detect anything but patience, compassion, and warmth, you might want to think twice.
- What information does the attorney provide? Good lawyers are educators who teach their clients about their case and the process as it moves forward. If you’re in the dark at the first meeting, don’t expect the light to come on later.
- It’s vital your personalities mesh. This is a relationship. Be sure it’s one where you feel appreciated and understood.
- Make sure you know the fee. Workers’ comp attorneys work on contingency fees set by law. But you need to know from the attorney how it works, including repayment of costs for your case.
- No guaranteed outcomes. If the lawyer says he’ll win your case or get a specific settlement amount, run. At Holland & Usry, the only guarantees we make our work injury clients are that we’ll work as hard as we can to get the best result we can, we’ll always be honest and sincere with you—even if it’s what you don’t want to hear—and we’ll keep you updated in your case so you can make the best legal decision for you.
To get your questions answered, call us toll-free at 888-230-1841 or fill out a Get Help Now form. You can also schedule a live, free, no-pressure strategy session. If we’re not right for you, we might be able to point you in the right direction.