Let me first assure you that you’re not being rude. This is an answer you need to know.
And here’s the short answer: at our Spartanburg, South Carolina accident injury law firm, our attorneys strive to get your check to you ASAP, but ethical regulations and finalizing the settlement takes a little time.
Now for the details. Here’s basically how it works with us:
- We reach a settlement agreement with the other side.
- If a case involves an injured child or death, a judge likely has to approve the settlement. We get a hearing scheduled ASAP. For more, here's how the court process works for fatal accident (called "wrongful death" under South Carolina law) settlement proceedings and children's accident injury settlement proceedings.
- We get the settlement documents to end the case. We review them closely to protect your rights. If the documents don’t fully protect your rights or don’t reflect the agreement, we make changes.
- The check usually comes with the documents. We deposit that in our trust account, a special bank account safeguarding your money until we can pay you. Ethical regulations require us to wait a few days to be sure it clears before paying you.
- Once the documents are ready for you to sign, you sign. Before you sign, we explain them to you, since they’re often written in incredibly complex “legalese”—which can be just plain ridiculous. We return them to the other side for you.
- You usually get your check around the same time you sign the settlement documents.
You get copies of all the documents, and we prove where all the money goes. Because this is an important moment in your life with serious financial consequences, we want to make sure you have all the information related to the settlement. We give you a packet with all the important settlement documents in it. On top is a sheet showing who gets paid from the settlement—and how much—so you can account for every penny of it, including our fees and costs paid from the check.
The packet includes proof we repaid anyone you’re required to repay from the settlement, like your health insurance company that may have covered your medical bills.
But Wait! Before You Worry About the Settlement Check Arriving, Don't You Need to Know How To Get It in the First Place?
Of course you do! And for the benefit of our South Carolina accident clients, our Spartanburg personal injury lawyer has developed a process to streamline geting you a good settlement for:
- Wrongful Death
- Car and motorcycle accidents
- Semi-Truck accidents
- Accidents like trip or slip-and-falls
If you've got questions about your South Carolina accident case, get peace of mind for FREE. It won't cost a thing to contact us, and there's no obligation. Call us toll free at 888-230-1841 or fill out a Get Help Now form.
It Doesn’t Take That Long, But It’s Mighty Important
While it sounds like a lot, the settlement process doesn’t take that long. Once we agree to settle, you will typically get your check within a month—sometimes less. Cases requiring court approval can take longer due to scheduling conflicts, but we always aim to achieve our driving goal: getting you compensated as soon as possible.
If you’ve got any questions about a potential settlement or anything else about your case, reach out right now, in the best way for you. You can contact us with a live chat, fill out a Get Help Now form, or call toll free at 888-230-1841. We know it’s important to you, and we’re here to help.