South Carolina law limits how much patients and their families can obtain in a settlement for injury or death caused by poor medical care. A South Carolina malpractice attorney explains how these caps work, and why your case may well be worth pursuing despite them.


We're talking about medical malpractice settlement limits in South Carolina. If you've been harmed by a medical mistake the law limits or caps your compensation. For the specific dollar amounts check out our website it just makes it easier to pinpoint your situation or you can call or email us right where you are. Generally the law limits your compensation in two situations. First, for non-economic damages also called pain and suffering. These amounts can change every year because they're adjusted according to the Consumer Price Index and they do not apply to private providers who are guilty of recklessness or dishonesty related to the harm, like altering medical records. Second, the law limits all compensation you can get from a government affiliated provider. Usually a county hospital or an office they own these are hard caps, meaning they include economic losses like lost wages and medical bills. These caps never change.

Are You Lost After A Medical Mistake?

So the question becomes what do you do about it? Well if you've been permanently hurt or lost a loved one as a result of a medical mistake bringing your case may be the only way the harm gets recognized so it won't be repeated. You’ll need a sharp experienced attorney to find every potential provider who contributed to your harm to maximize your chance at the most compensation allowed by law. We have a very select malpractice case load. If you want to find out about your options and your rights feel free to call or email us or live chat us right where you are to see if you qualify to be one of our malpractice clients. I thank you for thinking about this with me and I hope I see you soon.

Rob Usry
Connect with me
Rob is a Spartanburg personal injury lawyer. Rob also practices as a workers' compensation attorney.