The person you choose to represent you in court can have a profound impact on your future. With so much riding on the line after being charged with a crime in South Carolina, you cannot afford to take your decision on who will represent you lightly.
Choosing a criminal defense attorney is one of the biggest decisions you’ll make in your case. When you interview a lawyer, have a list of questions prepared in advance to ask during the interview so that you get the information you need to make the right decision for you.
Here are a few ways you can be confident that you choose the right criminal defense attorney for your case:
- Look for someone you trust. Your life is in your defense lawyer’s hands. It is crucial that you have someone in whom you have complete confidence and whom you can trust with your future.
- The lawyer’s experience is vital. Make sure the lawyer regularly handles criminal cases, especially cases like yours. Be sure he or she can tell you the elements of the crime for which you’re charged and the possible penalties for a conviction, in addition to potential defenses. Ask about the lawyer’s track record in these cases. Find out how the lawyer prepares cases to go before a judge or jury.
- Make sure your lawyer makes you a priority. Don’t hire a lawyer who doesn’t devote his full attention to you when you meet to discuss hiring him. Find out how you’ll be involved in the development of the defense of your case.
- Finding someone who will openly and honestly answer your questions is critical—even if those answers hurt. Too much is at stake to hire someone who’d rather please you than give you an honest assessment of the good and bad of your case. You will be working closely with your criminal defense lawyer throughout your case.
- Don’t bargain-basement shop. You are not shopping for an appliance. The criminal defense lawyer you hire stands between you and the government that’s accused you of breaking the law and wants you to pay. Your freedom, reputation, and maybe your life all hang in the balance of a criminal charge. This is not a time to make your decision based only which lawyer is the cheapest. If ever there was a time to get a loan, use a credit card, or beg family for money, it’s now. If you honestly have no resources and can’t afford the fee quoted by the lawyer you trust, have a sincere discussion with that lawyer about how you can make it work.
We Serve Spartanburg & Beyond
At Holland & Usry, we understand how choosing the right criminal defense lawyers can affect your case. That’s why we offer you a free consultation where you can come in and get to know the attorney who will represent you in trial. Call us today toll free at 888-230-1841 or 864-582-0416 to schedule your free consultation and get started on your defense.