It’s horrifying to get that call at work telling you your child’s been hurt on the playground, and you need to come quickly—or worse, get to the hospital. But playground injuries happen far too often. Many result in grave injuries, including concussions, brain injuries, paralysis, and broken bones.
Parents are often shocked at an unlikely culprit. It’s not the playground bully, but playground equipment provided by the school to entertain children at recess. The truth is, parents know precious little about the safety of this equipment.
And they know even less about how to prove it caused their child’s injury. That’s what personal injury lawyers are for.
Proving Unsafe Equipment Is Not Easy
Proving schoolyard play equipment is unsafe requires a teacher and some school books—an expert who educates the school’s insurance company or jury about industry safety standards and how the school disregarded them, causing your child’s injury.
Here’s how it works in a nutshell:
- Expert. You need to find one with experience in playground safety.
- Industry standards. These often come from government guidelines, like the Consumer Product Safety Commission, or engineering standards published by groups like the American Society for Testing and Materials.
- Proof. The expert learns about the cause of the injury, looks at the equipment, gathers the proper standards in effect at the time of the injury, and shows how the school violated those standards by:
- Installing substandard equipment.
- Improperly maintaining equipment.
- Unsafely modifying equipment.
- Improperly allowing students to use the equipment in unsafe, unintended ways.
To Do This, You’ll Need Help
With a seriously injured child, you’re already overwhelmed. Don’t expect the school to volunteer taking responsibility, much less help get bills paid.
To take a powerful stand for your child’s right to be compensated—and prevent another child enduring the same fate—you’ll need a skilled legal tactician to launch an investigation and get the right experts. At Holland & Usry, we pride ourselves on helping “the least of these.” If your child got hurt seriously on a playground, email us right where you are for a free strategy session to tell your story and learn how we can help.