When a careless act causes a victim’s death, the family may well have the right to pursue a wrongful death case. The claim is usually brought by the personal representative of the victim’s estate. The goal of these cases is to compensate grieving family members for the loss of their loved one. South Carolina law created these cases for the benefit of the victim's closest relatives, such as a spouse and children, or parents.
In addition, the victim's family may qualify to bring a survival case for compensation for medical and funeral bills, pain, suffering, and mental distress endured by the victim as a result of the accident leading to death.
It's a sad reality that people die due to the carelessness of others, which is why the law provides for legal redress in this situation. These are typical wrongful death and survival cases we see, and the parties compensation can be sought from:
- Car, truck, and motorcycle crashes. The at-fault driver and, if he was driving for work at the time- like a trucker- the company he works for.
- Medical malpractice. The doctor, health care provider, or facility whose substandard care results in death.
- Nursing home or assisted living facility neglect. The facility and its employees who fail to look out for the most fragile victims.
- The bar or restaurant that over-serves alcohol to a drunken patron who causes a fatal DUI crash.
- Defective products. The manufacturer of a faulty product.
- Falls. The business with unsafe floors or walkways that lead to a fatal slip, trip, or fall injury.
The above is not meant to be an exhaustive list. If you suspect carelessness caused the death of someone you love, you owe it to your own peace of mind to find out if you have legal rights that could provide needed financial benefits - and possibly prevent this from happening to someone else.
You don't even have to get out of your seat to get your questions answered. Fill out our Get Help Now form right on this page. If you need a face-to-face meeting, call toll-free at 888.230.1841 to schedule a FREE strategy session to give you peace of mind.