If you’ve been wise or you’re lucky to have a great insurance agent, you can use your OWN policy to cover your South Carolina motorcycle accident, if you need to.
In helping motorcycle accident victims recover from serious crashes over the years, we’ve seen three sad facts too many times:
- South Carolina only requires drivers to carry a minimum of $25,000 in liability insurance. That’s the coverage used to help innocent victims hurt in crashes. But that doesn’t even scratch the surface for serious motorcycle injuries like broken bones, surgery, or brain injuries.
- Most at-fault drivers don’t have assets to pay for the damage they’ve done if they don’t have enough insurance to cover it.
- That leaves innocent victims holding the bag.
To find out what coverage you’ve got, or to get your questions answered about your case, call the Spartanburg, South Carolina motorcycle accident attorneys here at 888-230-1841.
How Your Own Policy Can Rescue You—If You’ve Got the Right Coverage
The coverage you need is called underinsurance, or UIM. UIM is designed to help victims get a better settlement when the at-fault driver doesn’t have enough liability insurance.
It gets better: In the right situation, you can actually ADD ON MORE COVERAGE from other vehicles in your household through a legal tactic called “stacking.” And it doesn’t matter what type of vehicle it is, as long as it has UIM on it. It can be a motorcycle, a car, or a truck.
To answer questions folks have—and should have but don’t know to ask—download our FREE BOOK on crash cases, which we designed to help victims of South Carolina car and motorcycle accidents.
UIM Can Be Crucial in Your Motorcycle Accident Settlement, and the Law Requires Your Agent to Offer it Properly
To show how vital UIM is in protecting you and your family, read some real-life stories from our own clients, but know that past results don't guarantee the same outcome in your case since all cases are governed by unique facts and how the law applies:
- UIM provides desperately needed financial aid to Spartanburg motorcycle brain injury victim
- UIM from relative's policy gets much bigger settlement for Spartanburg motorcycle accident victim
- UIM settlement for Inman, South Carolina motorcycle rider, plus massive medical bill reduction secured by attorney, prevents finanncial ruin
South Carolina law recognizes the importance of UIM in protecting accident victims. It requires your agent to offer you UIM in a specific way. If he didn’t, you could get the coverage legally imposed on your policy to help your accident claim. But spotting whether it got offered the right way requires a keen legal mind with experience in car and motorcycle insurance coverage cases.
If you’ve got concerns about UIM coverage in your South Carolina motorcycle accident case, you need an experienced legal professional. You can call toll free at 888-230-1841, fill out a Get Help Now form, or contact us with a live chat.
FREE POINTER: If you review your policy and find you have no UIM, do two things, RIGHT NOW, to protect yourself:
- Call your agent to get the coverage.
- When you talk to your agent, increase your liability limits so you can get the most UIM possible, since you can’t have more UIM coverage than liability coverage. You will probably be shocked to find out how cheap UIM coverage is—but if you need it, it’s worth its weight in gold.
Now we’ve covered the good news, there’s one thing you need to know, and you won’t like it.
Just Because You Use Your Own Policy Doesn’t Mean Your Case Is Sunshine and Roses
Here’s the biggest shock for folks who need UIM: When you make a UIM claim, your own insurance company turns against you. Let that sink in.
That’s right—after all that money you paid in premiums, your own insurance company defends the at-fault driver like their own.
All because your insurance company wants to keep its money from you, no matter how bad you need it, or that you paid them for the service. Because insurance companies can be harshly prejudiced against riders, it's critical for you to get some legal adivce before dealig with them, so you don't risk killing your case.
And just how hard will they fight? Extremely hard, as shown by an actual case.
You’ve Got a Lot to Lose—Get Help With Your Motorcycle Accident Settlement
If you’re worried about the at-fault driver’s insurance limits or using your own policy to pay for your injuries, you already know you’ve got a high stakes case. Insurance company adjusters will do everything to cheat you.
And now you know that includes your own insurance company.
As Spartanburg, South Carolina motorcycle accident attorneys, we’re here to answer your questions and protect your rights. Do it the easiest way for you: You can call toll-free at 888-230-1841, fill out a Get Help Now form, or contact us with a live chat. Schedule a FREE, EASY strategy session where we won’t pressure you to hire us.