People equate trip or slip and fall claims with slipping on the proverbial banana peel in the grocery store. That may be a funny joke, but in the fall cases that we accept, both the cause and consequences are quite serious. At Holland & Usry, we know the real reasons for these injuries are usually hidden dangers the owner could have prevented or fixed before they wreaked havoc on an unsuspecting visitor. And the resulting injuries are no laughing matter.
Common Injuries From Slip or Trip and Fall Accidents Include:
- Broken ankles. A rickety step collapses, and you go straight down, with your entire body weight crushing your ankle.
- Broken hips. You slip on an unseen object on a cluttered store floor, your feet fly out from under you, and you slam into the floor with all your weight on your hip. The elderly are especially at risk for this injury.
- Knee damage. You slip on an unmarked wet spot in a restaurant, flying forward, then straight down with all your weight on your knee. These injuries can be especially devastating—the force can crush your kneecap and yank the tough cartilage and ligaments inside into a torn, tangled mess.
- Torn rotator cuff. You trip on a rumpled floor mat and break your fall with your arm, ramming it into your shoulder joint, ripping the muscles and ligaments around your shoulder.
- Broken wrist. An unseen, unmarked change in a restaurant’s floor elevation causes you to unexpectedly lose your balance and slam directly onto your hand, crushing your wrist. These can be especially complex injuries, as bones, nerves, ligaments, cartilage, and fine muscles are all bundled together in the wrist and hand.
- Herniated spinal discs. Discs are the “shock absorbers” protecting the delicate spinal cord. They look like a jelly donut. If you throw a jelly donut on the floor, it bursts and the jelly leaks out. The same can occur to a spinal disc from the jolt of landing on your backside in a fall. But when you blow out a spinal disc, it’s a lot harder to clean up. Because the ruptured disc compresses nerves leaving the spinal cord, it causes extreme pain, weakness, numbness and tingling—and sometimes these problems can only be fixed with extremely serious spinal surgery.
- Back and neck muscle pulls and tears. Strains and sprains don’t sound so bad in comparison to the other injuries we’ve mentioned, but make no mistake: a back or neck injury can keep you out of work for months at a time.
When a property owner does not keep his property safe, the consequences for innocent, unknowing visitors are no joke. At Holland & Usry, our Spartanburg slip or trip and fall attorneys can help show how a property owner did not keep you safe and help their insurance company understand the full extent of what may be your life-changing injuries. If you’ve suffered one of these falls, call us at 864.582.0416 or toll-free at 877.230.1841 today for a free meeting to see how we can help you get compensated for your injuries.