Personal injury victims who can prove another person caused their injury can recover money for losses, or damages, they sustain as a result of the injury. Personal injury victims may obtain compensation for damages they can prove, such as:
- Medical bills, including future medical bills related to the accident
- Lost wages, including overtime and vacation/sick leave and, in the most serious cases, permanent income loss or reduction
- Pain, discomfort, and suffering, plus other items listed below that we call "human loss"
- Disfigurement/Permanent scarring
- Emotional trauma
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Permanent injury
- Physical disability
- Mental disability, especially in brain damage cases
- Property damage
- Out of pocket expenses as a result of the injury, such as transportation, house cleaning, yard work, etc.
- Punitive damages to punish the wrongdoer where the injuries are caused by reckless or intentional conduct.
Additionally, spouses of injured victims can recover damages for loss of love, affection, companionship, and comfort ordinarily provided by their injured spouse.