South Carolina accident injury victims who can prove another person caused their injury can recover money compensation for harms and losses sustained as a result of the injury. The legal term for the harms and losses is damages.
Before we list the basic damages, remember they are what you might be eligible for. Whether you qualify for them, and how much compensation you should get, is a much more complicated matter. Find out what kind of South Carolina accident injury settlement you can get. Get your questions answered in a free, no pressure strategy session with a Spartanburg, SC personal injury attorney. Call toll free at 888-230-1841 or fill out a Get Help Now form
Having said that, accident injury victims may qualify for compensation for:
- Medical bills, including future medical bills related to the accident
- Lost wages, including overtime and vacation/sick leave and, in the most serious cases, permanent income loss or reduction
- Pain, discomfort, and suffering, plus other items listed below that we call "human loss"
- Disfigurement/Permanent scarring
- Emotional trauma
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Permanent injury
- Physical disability
- Mental disability, especially in traumatic brain injury or brain damage cases
- Property damage
- Out of pocket expenses as a result of the injury, such as transportation, house cleaning, yard work, etc.
- Punitive damages to punish the wrongdoer where the injuries are caused by reckless or intentional conduct.
Additionally, spouses of injured victims can recover damages for loss of love, affection, companionship, and comfort ordinarily provided by their injured spouse.