You never remember the fall itself. It all happens too fast.
We call it the Big Boom. One moment you’re fine, and the next, you have fallen to the floor. Boom.
The Big Boom means a number of other things, too. There is the immediate shock of pain. There is the embarrassment that comes from slamming onto the floor in public. And, later on, you start to think about what happened, and you feel shame about the question that you will ask yourself time and time again—the question the insurance company tries to make its first line of defense:
“Why didn’t you look where you were going?”
A Slip & Fall Isn’t Always Your Fault
Why did you fall? At Holland & Usry, we know the answer to that is often as honest as it is simple—you fell because you trusted the store to keep its aisle and floors safe so you could look at the shelves.
As with all personal injury cases, these cases are about safety, not your embarrassment. To win a Spartanburg slip and fall case, the victim has to prove the property owner either created a dangerous condition causing the fall, or knew about or should have known of the dangerous condition and failed to fix it.
If you or someone you know has suffered a slip and fall and needs to know if they have a case, contact our Spartanburg injury attorneys toll-free at 888-230-1841.
Common causes of Spartanburg slip and fall injuries include:
- Slippery floors. If a floor was recently mopped or waxed, or if there was a spill that was not immediately attended to, it can create a hazardous surface for you to walk on. This can easily cause you to slip and fall.
- Unmarked, unseen spills or wet spots. These hidden dangers are a disaster waiting to happen. Stores are responsible for policing their entire property to find these dangers, clean them up, and put up attention-focusing signs to alert customers of the danger, like warning cones and wet floor signs. That includes aisles, parking lots, walkways into the store, and entrances/exits.
- Loose flooring or rugs. Loose flooring can move underneath you when you walk on it. If you slip on some, you can land hard and experience a serious injury.
- Messy aisles. If you’re so busy dodging clutter in the aisle as you try to shop at the toy store, you might just miss the light colored marble on the floor.
- Unmarked, unseen "black" ice. After a winter storm, businesses should take steps to protect customers from this invisible menace. But sometimes they just don't, or don't do it carefully enough. Failing to treat the parking lot or outside walkways to remove it and warn customers of this danger can mean the business should be accountable for severe injuries.
Don't believe a business or insurance company telling you there's no case because the danger was "open and obvious"- you can still have a case under South Carolina law.
Can you get the settlement you deserve for your slip & fall injuries?
It can be very hard for a customer to convince a store’s insurance company he can prove the store allowed its floors or other areas to become dangerous. The insurance adjuster may deny your claim outright, or offer you far less than you need for a complete recovery, and will prey upon your sense of shame in order to coerce you to accept their tiny settlement.
At Holland & Usry, our Spartanburg slip, trip, and fall attorneys can help show that an accident was the fault of the store to get you the money to cover the costs of your injuries. If you’ve been hurt from a trip or slip, call us today toll-free at 877.230.1841 for a free meeting to discuss your potential claim.